Living, Learning & Loving La Vida Nueva

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Wake Up and Smell the Wilber

I found this breakfast casserole in an old cookbook of my mama's and it looked entirely too simple and yummy not to give it a try!  I just caught a big whiff of it on the tails of a breeze coming from my kitchen and out my open living room windows; It is smelling scrumptious and I can't wait to taste it!

After our walk last evening, I whipped this up right before bed.  Browning the sausage was the most time consuming part, but in total it couldn't have taken me more than ten minutes.  It spent the night in my fridge and I popped it in the oven this morning as soon as I got myself out of the bed.  I would've certainly stayed there even longer this morning if it weren't for a precious baby flailing his arms and smacking me in the head.  I guess that was his cue that he was ready to go play.  Rolling is his new favorite activity and he promptly got into some trouble as soon as I laid him down on the living room floor.


"Hmm, these bench legs are nice to play with, but Daddy's guitar looks even more exciting!"



"Being mischievous is exhausting."


"Ahh, I got it. Such fun!"

It is so easy to get distracted by baby cuteness. Ok, back to breakfast.

Brown the sausage and drain.  My sausage didn't give off enough fat to bother with draining, so I just left it.


Slice the bread into cubes.  Or, you can just tear it like I did.  I needed to get rid of some bread so I used more than two pieces.  


Top bread with sausage then pour egg and milk mixture over the whole thing.


Adorn with cheese till it's orange on top.  I photographed midway so you could see the yumminess underneath.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
1lb breakfast sausage, browned and drained
6 eggs
2+ slices of bread
2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground mustard
lots of cheddar cheese
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Arrange bread in greased baking dish.  Spread sausage evenly on top of bread.  Beat eggs, milk, salt, ground mustard and pour over bread and sausage.  Layer cheese on top.  Refrigerate overnight.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes - 1 hour, until bubbly and eggs have set.



Plate and serve to your adoring husband.  Or kids.  Or eat it all yourself.

Have a great weekend!

~Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment