Living, Learning & Loving La Vida Nueva

Monday, September 5, 2011

Homemaker

This evening as I was cooking dinner in my fancy apartment kitchen, listening to the hum of my washer and looking out my kitchen sink window, I was struck with how much I love all things homemaking.  Sure, there are times when the laundry seems like a daunting task, I can't decide what to cook for dinner or I loathe the fact that the bathrooms need cleaning.  Even so, I feel an enormous sense of satisfaction when dinner time is over and the dishes are clean, the laundry is folded neatly in piles and it looks as if I could dine on the bathroom floor.

As I have mentioned before, I am extremely fond of cooking.  Having significant obstacles while trying to cook during our time in Mexico made it a bit less enjoyable.  I could kick myself now for not photographing my "kitchen" there.  I am proud of all the things I was able to cook despite the fact that I didn't have a stove top or conventional oven.  When making banana bread, I had to wrap the whole pan and cover the top with tin foil so that none of the sides or top would burn in my toaster oven.  And it took forever to bake, but it was worth it!  Barbeque meatloaf, one of my favorite foods ever, turned out unexpectedly well without a real oven, much less a grill.  When it came time to wash the dishes, it was slow going.  Water pressure was nonexistent.  I had to turn on the water, wait for the sponge to get wet, throw some soap on there and scrub the plate.  Then, I would hold it under the itty bitty trickle of water for a second and twist and tilt the plate so that the water would run around it.  Rinse.  Repeat.  Do you get the picture?  But, oh honey, now with a real kitchen... you just can't imagine what it's like.

The last time I mentioned laundry I told you about my sweet daddy doing it for me.  Well, not long after I posted that, the Lord blessed us with a washer and dryer of our own.  I cannot explain how happy that made me.  It came from someone completely unexpectedly, but isn't that often how God works?  Now I can toss in anything and everything that Kyle decides to puke up-chuck on (and that is everything; when will it END?!) at my leisure.  It's a beautiful thing.  


Yes, I write homemaker whenever I have to list my occupation.  And I am not ashamed of my job title.  I wouldn't have it any other way. 



-Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment