Living, Learning & Loving La Vida Nueva

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

A Look into the Past & 200th Post Give~Away!

Over the past nearly seven years, I've journaled 200 posts on this blog about my life, travels, ministry, interests and family.  I enjoy going back and reading about my life years ago, as memories fade and experience blurs together.  Some things stand out in my mind.  There have been many monumental moments that have brought me to where I am today.  But many things need refreshing.

I think back to my first post.  For a long time, I could not look back at 19 year old me and see a kid.  Now I can.  Goodness I was young.  Living in Mexico taught me so much.  It molded me so much.  It prepared me for more than I could have ever imagined.  I am so thankful we had that foundation for our marriage.  We owned nearly nothing.  It was just the two of us.  We saw a lot of things which influenced our desires for our future.  Because of that time, we were able to settle into our plan to be nomads and not get bogged down by stuff.  We saw ministry being done by the local church and we loved it.  We caught the vision for training up replacements and leaving the work to the local people.  That was monumental in leading us to where we are now.

During our transition from Mexico to Africa, we were able to live nearby my folks.  After marrying so young, it felt like we were on borrowed time living close together again.  I don't regret marrying when I did.  I was ready.  But it was such a treat to be back near my family for those two years.  My parents adopted my youngest brother during that time, and I will always cherish being able to build a relationship with him before moving far away again.  Being near them helped us conquer support raising for Africa.  They also lent me a much needed hand during my crazy sick pregnant days with Ellee.

I've welcomed all three of my babies, Kyle, Ellee, and Sadie Kate, onto this blog.  I've journaled pregnancy highs and lows.  Recently as I was chatting with a group of South Africans who were here for a visit, I realized how often I start by saying, "When I was pregnant with ____."  I've been pregnant a lot over the past seven years.  It hasn't all been easy, that's for sure, but it's all been worth it.  As any mother knows, the journey to children, whether it be through pregnancy and childbirth or through adoption, is a refining one.

Moving to Africa has changed me forever.  It is now a part of who I am.  Wherever the Lord leads us from here, I know I will always cherish these rural years which have smoothed my edges.  They have stretched me beyond what I thought I could handle.  Some days are so long and hard.  Some days are so exciting and rewarding.  Some things I see differently now.  Other things I want to change but cannot.  It is such a different world here.  At the same time, people are still the same.  They have great joys and great sorrows, of which we share both.  We laugh often and we cry at times.  We exchange stories and points of view.  I have so much to learn from people who have walked different roads than I.  Some are cautious of outsiders while others are interested and welcoming.  We have been grafted into the family here in our little corner of Mokhotlong and, in many ways, it feels like home.  I see the Church more clearly now.  We are a body.  We may not agree on every last thing.  We certainly don't all come from the same backgrounds.  But there is a sense of family when we meet a fellow believer.  I've met Christians from more countries than I can remember; I cherish knowing I'll see them all again one day.

I've made blog entries from five different countries : Mexico, America, Kenya, Lesotho and South Africa.  Over the past years, I've spent significant time in all those places.  These places which to me have been home for some time :

Mexico

America



Kenya

Lesotho


South Africa

To recognize my 200th post, I'd like to do a give away.  I haven't made the purchase yet, but I can promise it'll be something special.  It'll take a few weeks to get there after I mail it, so if the winner is in America, one can't expect to see anything real soon.  If you'd like to enter, please leave a comment on here or on Facebook saying something you have gleaned from reading this blog.  Maybe it's a story that impacted you or a recipe you use often.  Maybe it's something you've learned about cross-cultural living or missionary life.  Whatever it is, comment and I'll enter you into a drawing!

~Abby

3 comments:

  1. Abby I have always loved reading your blog. I have followed it since the beginning. Even though we have never met and the chances for us to ever do so before heaven are slim to nil, I so enjoy reading about your life and ministry. You and your husband are true servants and that shines through in your writing. You have a gift with words. Your blog has always encouraged me to remember that there are those who are still sharing the Gospel with others and are having an impact for Christ. It's always an encouragement to me when I read your posts. I look forward to them. Keep writing and sharing!
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Abby!! 200 posts! My goodness! And each one so transparent and interesting :) I have LOVED being along for the ride you call life for so many years now...to experience all the adventure right along with you! May God continue to bless your efforts for His kingdom where ever He might lead. To God be the glory, great things He has done :) I won a giveaway you did some time back and received it early in 2015...It was some YUMMY toffee and tea :) Oh how I did ENJOY it :) Not sure if that disqualifies me from an entry this time around...I HOPE NOT!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you sweet Abby! Your posts continue to bless me and help me focus my prayers for you all each morning when I drink my daily Five Roses tea! Aunt Beth

    ReplyDelete