Living, Learning & Loving La Vida Nueva

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sentimental Moment...

Maybe this post is better suited for Father's Day.  But, that would be cheesier than I like to be, so January 9th it is.

The older I get, the less I take for granted.  My dad is no exception.  The countless things my dad has done for me during my life are coming into a new light as I prepare to be a parent myself.  I can only begin to scratch the surface in telling what kind of a father I have.

While Jonathan and I are settling in to have a baby and pursue our options with a mission board, we are living somewhat temporarily in an apartment not far from my parents' house.  While we were able to get a great deal on some used furniture, as well as some borrowed from dear friends, we have not purchased a washer and dryer.  Although it would be nice, we have no intentions of making that purchase while we are here.  Instead, once a week I take the laundry over to my parents and wash a few loads.  They are very gracious to let us use their machines and some water and soap.

Yesterday, when I went to the house with three loads needing to be washed, I promptly put the first load in the washer and started it.  I left and quickly forgot about the laundry all together.  Let's chalk that up to pregnancy brain and not poor wifey skills, shall we?  In any case, a couple hours later I came back down stairs only to find the first load done and in a basket by the door, another load in the dryer and the last load washing.  I don't know many men who would voluntarily do their own laundry, let alone their married daughter's and her husband's.  However, my dad doesn't fall into the normal men category.  He is an extraordinary man.

Never before have I met someone who more accurately defines the word "servant."  He is constantly doing things that may never be noticed or spoken of, and he does them with a cheerful heart.  All my life I have watched my dad give and do things and hardly ever did I stop to think about how incredible he is.  He did not have to spend his Saturday doing my laundry; I never asked him to nor would I have expected it of him.  But, he did.  And you know, he probably never thought twice of it.

He is a constant challenge and example for me and the rest of my siblings.  He is a great husband and father.  I told him the other day that I didn't deserve him.  I know I don't.  I couldn't be happier that God saw fit to bless me with such a fantastic father.

On countless occasions my dad has cried with me and laughed with me.  He has been a great friend to me my entire life and I hope I can show him, now that I am beginning to realize the many things he has done for me, how thankful I am for him.

Summer, 2007

Just before walking down the aisle, 2009

Daddy/Daughter dance

Daddy/Daughter dance


I love you, Dad. 
~Abby

1 comment: