Living, Learning & Loving La Vida Nueva

Friday, January 28, 2011

Simple Stromboli

This is a St.Clair favorite which I thought must be shared.  It is so quick and easy, you can't imagine that it tastes as good as it does!

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Start with a loaf (or 5, depending on how large your crew is) of frozen bread dough, thawed.  You can find this stuff with the frozen biscuits in the grocery store.   On a floured surface, stretch and yank the dough until you get it to about 14X5in.  Then, sprinkle cheese down the middle of the dough.




The next step requires much practice.  I have perfected it in a very short amount of time.  But, never fear, I have no doubt you'll catch on equally as fast.  Arrange pepperonis on top of the cheese while eating one for every three you put in the stromboli.  I am convinced this is the secret step, so do not omit it.  Of course, if you fancy italian sausage over pepperonis, you can substitute that (or just add to the calories by using both) but I find that it's not nearly as much fun to eat plain sausage as it is pepperonis.



Top with mas queso.  For all of you non-Spanish students that means, well, Google it.  You should know this one.


Tuck in the short ends like so.


Then stretch over the long sides and seal using a dab of water.  I like to add a little (ok, a lot) flour to the top for that delightful floury crust.  On a lightly greased cookie sheet, bake seem side down for 15-20 minutes, or until lightly brown.


Serve with warmed pizza and alfredo sauces. Enjoy!



(I didn't stop to take a picture before we dug in.  We were in a hurry tonight, hence the easy meal.  So this is the inside shot.  Also, don't mind the plastic tie, I took the picture in haste.)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks. I plan to make this mañana. And you saved me from having to blog it.

    I'm going to be totally rebellious and put some ground beef on there and probably some minced onion. Shhhhh....don't tell the St.Clairs about the onions.

    ReplyDelete