Living, Learning & Loving La Vida Nueva

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Nineteen Months


My sugar baby is nineteen months old today.  Say it ain't so!  He is becoming so much more of a little boy these days.  I know should come up with a new nick name for him besides Sugar Baby, but I'm having a hard time letting go of it.  He is so sugary sweet, how could I?

Last week he had his physical done (that sounds funny doesn't it, a physical for an toddler...) to be cleared to move to Africa.  He weighs 24 pounds and he is 34 inches tall.  He's following his daddy's growth curve in the twenty fifth percentile for weight and the eightieth for height.  Tall and skinny, just the way I like him.

He is a strong and healthy little guy which is easily attributed to his constant activity.  There isn't an ounce of laziness in him.  He goes nonstop from the minute he wakes up till nap time.  Then he recharges for four hours.  Then he goes nonstop again until bed time.  Bed time is later than I would like, but I trade four hours in the afternoon for a late night toddler.  It works out because it allows Jonathan to see Kyle even when he gets off of work late.  Plus, we like him, and we really like spending time with him.  Often times after we put him to bed, we find ourselves looking at pictures and videos of him on the iPad.  I'm so thankful that by the end of his loooong nap, I'm really excited to see him again and that he brings such joy and excitement into my everyday.





Whenever I asked him to smile for the camera, this is the face we get.




Same face.  Maybe he is anticipating the flash??

For the whole first year, I sat amazed at his physical development.  Now I am in constant awe of his cognitive development.  Many of his words are becoming easier to understand.  He is always adding new words and phrases.  Some of my favorites are: Oh no!, Night Night which sounds more like Ni Ni, and Bible which is actually Bye-bee.  He loves his Bye-bee.  He also understands nearly everything we ask him to do.  He is consistently becoming more obedient and I hope that continues.  He recently learned how to turn the iPad on, unlock it, browse through the Apps and find his games.  By himself.  I shake my head in wonder.  His favorite game is one where you go through the whole barn and put each animal to sleep by turning off their lights.  Precious!  He loves animals just like his mommy.

As of today he is officially weaned.  I was afraid I would be a wreck and I still shed a tear, but I think he is more upset than I am.  He doesn't quite understand why he can't have his "mowk", so I am left trying to divert his attention.  It works for the most part.  Nineteen months of sweet snuggle time with my boy has been more than I ever dreamt of.  Although I wanted to breast feed him so badly, I'm still surprised we managed to work it out.  If it weren't for loads of determination and cheerleading from many encouraging mommies, I probably would've quit.  And I am so glad I didn't.  It has been the most rewarding part of motherhood thus far.

In a nutshell, we are still smitten.  Probably too much.  Maybe that is why God has given us another baby.  Yep, we're expecting in May!  I'll get a sevenish month break before I'm stuck in a rocker again. ;)  We are absolutely thrilled and I'm already so in love with the new little one in my womb.  I'll write more about that later....

Mommy loves you Kyle baby.  Thanks for making me a mama.  You'll always be my sugar baby!


~Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment