Living, Learning & Loving La Vida Nueva

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Anita's Yummy Mexican Stuff

Four years ago this week Jonathan and I moved from Mexico back to the US.  It really is ridiculous how much Jonathan and I like Mexican food.  We eat it about once a week, homemade tortillas and all.  This stuff is easier than making homemade tortillas and it's my go-to for a fantastic weekend lunch.

Some time ago our Unit Leader's wife served this to our Lesotho team at prayer day.  Wow.  It was so good!  I'm not positive I do it quite like she did it.... but here is my version of her fantastic dish.  I've made it on so many occasions, I can whip it up in no time.  I usually only make one portion at a time because it's just that quick.  But if you are cooking for a family or crowd, obviously you just use more of everything.  No real measurements here.  Easy.

Start by dicing red, yellow and green peppers, onion and boneless chicken breasts.  Throw them in a skillet with some olive oil and a shake of cajun seasoning.  I use the cajun seasoning my grandmother gave me plus a sprinkle of chipotle powder.  I love chipotle anything.  A year in Mexico did that to me.



When your veggies are tender and your meat is cooked, transfer to an oven proof dish.  I use a bread pan.  Add diced fresh tomatoes and some grated cheddar cheese.  Throw it under the broiler for a couple of minutes until the cheese is melted.



While that is doing its happy thing in the oven (don't forget about it!), chop up half an avocado.  I used to make a mashed guacamole but decided it was an added bowl to wash and I was happy to just dice some avo and continue on.


Crush a few Doritos on a plate.  Jonathan tells me these are "Cool Ranch" flavor in the US but here they are called Sweet Chili.  Pile on the warm combo out of the oven.  Sprinkle with the avo.  Add a dollop of cottage cheese.  And the final component --- Sweet chili sauce.  Sorry friends and fam in the US, don't think you're gonna find it there.  You could use.... some salsa!  Sweet chili sauce is, from what I've gathered, a staple South African condiment and it's delish.  I've looked up how to make it from scratch but haven't tried it myself.  Anyway, throw some salsa or sweet chili sauce or whatever on top and dig in!


Anita's Yummy Mexican Stuff:

Begin by dicing chicken, red, green, yellow peppers and onion.  Sprinkle with cajun spice and sauté in olive oil until tender.  Transfer to a baking dish and top with diced tomato and grated cheddar cheese.  Broil for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted.  Layer crushed Doritos, warm veggies and meat from the oven then top with chopped avocado, cottage cheese and sauce of your choice....

~Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment