Living, Learning & Loving La Vida Nueva

Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Tea, Tacos, and a Turtle


I am sitting in front of an oscillating fan, sipping chai spiced rooibos tea which is meant to make it feel more fall than the 90 degree afternoon we’re enduring enjoying.  It’s October and I’m too stubborn to turn on the air; besides it doesn’t really work anyway.  Rooibos tea, which is grown in South Africa, transports me right back to Lesotho days.  I didn’t love it when I first tried it, but over time it grew on me; when I discovered the chai spiced version, I was sold.  Since it is naturally decaffeinated, it’s a great option for a late afternoon slow-sip.  Dinner is prepped and ready to go in the oven.  I usually do some variation of Taco-Tuesday, but this week it got postponed to Wednesday.  Keto-taco-casserole (known around here as ke-taco) it is, and it’s so good!  I loosely use this recipe.

Yesterday I spent the entire afternoon in the kitchen, preparing all sorts of goodies.  I have many eager helpers, which doesn’t make things go very quickly.  Just when I was about ready to finish up and have a seat, Ellee reminded me I had promised we would make something from this alphabet cookbook this week.  So she, Sadie and I whipped up this Turtle Bread to accompany dinner. It was quick and easy and great for little helping hands.  I even managed to get out of kneading!




The finished product was well received by little turtles and Daddy turtle alike.

I also decided to use some super ripe bananas to make up a sort of low-carb banana bread.  Oxymoron, I know, but where the kids are concerned it's only an effort for healthier eating.  So I did my usual 3 mashed bananas, 2 eggs, stick of soft butter, drizzle of vanilla.  Then I added about 1/2 cup of coconut flour and a shake of baking powder and a shake of baking soda.  The technical details to recipes are negotiable in my book. It had to bake a good long while to set up - probably an hour or more - but once it did, it was very tasty.  The addition of a couple dark chocolate chips was not objected by any of the members of my household.


Hope you are having a great week!

~Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment