Living, Learning & Loving La Vida Nueva

Thursday, April 5, 2018

Operation Nationalize Ruby

Meet Ruby.

Watching me through the kitchen window. 

Previously known as Roofie, she was the pet of our former teammates and named by their youngest child.  After she came to us, a slight adjustment was made to Ruby.  She didn't seem to mind, and gladly comes when she's called.  She came to us by accident for a brief stay last June.  Her owner, a friend and teammate of ours, found himself with a broken down car near our house and had no way of transporting her.  He requested that we care for her until he could get his car fixed and remove her from our yard.  When he saw how much the kids were enjoying having her around, he offered for us to keep her until we left Lesotho.  We gladly agreed.

So, Ruby has been in our care for nearly the past year.  And during that time, we have grown to love her.  She is sweet, gentle, protective, calm, quiet, loving and devoted.  Everyone who meets her comments on what a great pup she is.  She has been adored by all the mission teams which come through Mokhotlong.  A few times, I was afraid they might allow her to leave with them "unnoticed" when they went on their way.

Post Jog Snuggles

Nearly everyday, she and I go out for a jog around town.  Last year, I ran into (no pun intended) some trouble while I was out alone in Mokhotlong.  Thus keeping Ruby for the remainder of our time in Lesotho was a delightful option for us.  She makes for great protection.  She's gentle, but she's intimidating and having her with me makes me feel more at ease.  My children love her and she follows them around to the neighbors' as they play.  Whenever we go away, Sadie calls out the window to her, "Bye, Ruby!  Sorry! We'll be back!"  Kyle may or may not be overfeeding her, thus the daily cardio requirement.

You can see Ruby patrolling in the background.

Why am I saying all this?  Because she's a doll.  She's an absolute joy and easily the best behaved dog I've ever known.  And the thought of leaving her in a few months was a lot to handle.  Her owner, Caleb, is one of the AIM guys working with the shepherds and she was to be his herd dog.  Herd dogs live rough lives, despite Caleb's obvious commitment to trying to be as good to her as possible.  The other dogs at the cattle posts are vicious and I know she would have to adapt and conform to survive.  Plus, knowing my kids are already struggling with the reality of moving, being able to take their friend Ruby along didn't seem like such a bad idea.  So, after discussing with Jono, I approached her owner, our friend, to ask if he'd be comfortable with us pursuing her transatlantic relocation with us in September.  He agreed.  When my brother, Caleb, was here late last year, he fell in love with her.  He has been wanting a dog for a very long time and I knew she'd make a great pet for him.  I then talked to my dad to see if he was agreeable with the plan of bringing her to be Caleb's pet.  He agreed.  Now that all parties are in agreement, I have contacted a pet shipping company and will get the ball rolling to make Ruby an American!

She loves to touch.  She isn't happy if we aren't touching.  Who cares about tan lines?

Shipping a pet is unfortunately pretty pricey.  Nevertheless, with a percentage committed by a generous donor, as well as initiative on the part of my siblings, we believe it is attainable.  Be on the lookout for fundraising from Holly, Maggie and Caleb!  They are overjoyed at the opportunity to have a one-of-a-kind dog and eager to make it happen!  They plan to do things like paintings, pet drawings, sewing and baking to help raise the funds.  I will post as soon as they determine their first endeavor.

I'm excited! Moving a big dog will undoubtedly be a hassle, but I believe it's worth it.  Plus, a dog is a man's best friend, right?  Or in this case, a mom and a brother.  :)

~Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment